Wednesday, November 24, 2010

September, 1951 Trains Magazine Advertisement

The Erie was a 6 foot gauge railroad from its founding 100 years ago until 1871. In that year standard gauge was adopted, and the first engine to be delivered was the "Waverly," a proud ancestor of today’s Alco-GE line.

174 Alco-GE diesel-electrics-the largest fleet of any builder-maintain Alco-GE’s reputation for the best in motive power. On them falls the burden of work, such as hauling this fast "Flying Saucer" freight, with its second morning delivery on the New York-Chicago run. Alco-GE locomotives are helping to keep the Erie progressive as it enters its second hundred years.

Archive # 24,838.
Joseph A. Smith (1895-1978) was an avid collector of railroad photos, sharing many of them with fellow collectors in the Northeast. A former plumbing contractor, Smith presumably developed his interest in railroads through his father – a trolley motorman in Troy, NY.

His extensive collection focused on the lines that once served Troy: Delaware & Hudson, Rutland, Boston & Maine and New York Central. Many of his children – especially his sons Joseph Jr., James and Paul -- developed a similar interest and added to his collection with photos of their own. Maintaining the collection is now in the hands of his grandson, Kenneth Bradford. Coincidentally, Ken’s other grandfather worked as a manager at the Schenectady plant of the American Locomotive Company.

Smith was a life member of the Capital District Railroad Club of Schenectady. He was also a member of the Mohawk-Hudson Chapter Railway Historical Society and its parent organization, the National Railway Historical Society.